13 May 2013

Hestia and The Tale of Juno's Hip

So, my mother went to visit my brother and his wife in sunny Birmingham.  They went for a day out to Ludlow and whilst walking down a cobbled street (no doubt looking in a shop window!) my mother lost her footing and tumbled to the ground like a sack of spuds.

And was unable to get back up.



A lovely first aid person came out from the shop behind them and brought out a stool onto which my bro and SIL huckled my mother.  An ambulance was called as Juno couldn't put any weight on her leg at all.

Thirty minutes later a paramedic arrived and ministered to my mother.  Brave man.

Forty minutes later the ambulance arrived and mother was whipped away to hospital.  The nearest hospital.  Which is quite some distance away from where Bro and SIL actually live.  Shrewsbury.

Turns out that mum has snapped the ball off the top of her femur and would need a half hip op.

My brother phoned me from A&E.  Well, there is no good telephone call starts with the words 'Hello Hestia, I'm phoning you  from A&E....'

I had been saying to Tartarus, only two nights before, how much I feared that Juno would fall when there was no one around.  She's 76 and contrary to what I call her here on the blog, Juno is not ACTUALLY immortal.

To cut a very long story short, she had her op last Sunday and has made an excellent recovery thanks to being as strong as an ox and stubborn as a mule.  Pity she hadn't been as bouncy as a castle though, it would have saved a lot of trouble.  Anyhoo....

My brother and SIL have been making the 140 mile round trip daily to visit her - visiting twice a day at weekends.  They've been total diamonds and have looked after Juno brilliantly.  A fact that I hope she remembers .........

So, she is getting released back into the wild tomorrow (Tuesday) and I will be up at her house playing at 'Nurses and Cranky Ladies with a new hip'.  This game might degenerate into 'Nurses sneaking gin and tonics' as the day wears on.  As long as it doesn't descend into 'Nurses transforming into Teenaged Sulky Britches' all should be fine.

I'm there until Thursday, just overseeing that she can do everything that needs to be done in the house.  I might even treat her to an evening at the flicks on Wednesday...... we'll see how Long John Silver feels when she's back in the bosom of her friends and neighbours.

So, won't be about this week, but NEXT WEEK I shall be back and getting stuck into the final stained glass window.

Toodle pip!

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! Good luck with your ministering to Juno. I know I can be very cranky when I'm less able than usual, so fingers crossed you don't resort to Teenage sulks - it may be very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ouch........ good luck good daughter!!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. There'd be no sneaking out for my gin - I'd have it in a LARGE lucozade bottle so I could sip it at all times :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect she's going to need an IV :D

      Delete

I'd love you to comment, but I get a phenomenal amount of spam comments on here for some reason - so everything is moderated. But only for spam. Any other comment will be posted :-D

Explore the ruined citadel of m'blog: