9 Jun 2015

Hestia's ... Creative Day 5

Yesterday I was off island at my friend's father's funeral.  Well, it was a cremation, actually.  It was a humanist service and really very beautiful.  I usually emerge from funeral services like a wrung out rag with eyes like piss-holes in the snow, but today it was really uplifting - a celebration of his life.

I did get weepy when my friend's daughter, who's only just into her teens, started talking about her grampa and only managed a few lines before breaking down.  But she regained her composure and not only finished


what she wanted to say, but also played a little tune that she had learned for his birthday on the guitar that he had bought her.  Sadly he passed away before she could play it for him.

It was lovely and I'm sure that if he heard it, he would have been delighted with it.  Even if it was Oasis.

As a result, I have not been around much to be creative, but I thought I'd try a fun sketch using Sketchbook Pro on the ipad (there is a free version available, but this is the paid version - think it was £4.99) whilst watching Eastenders after dinner last night:


I've decided that it's a garden border, with a central path, running down to water in the background.


6 comments:

  1. The thing about virtual splodges is that you can put them down in layers. So if you discover that you don't like, say, the yellow flowers, you can just delete the layer that they are on and create something else instead and insert that layer anywhere you like. Can't do that with Winsor & Newton :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. digital paints are much easier to delete :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it - I think it is much harder to paint on the tablet with brushes myself - but I know some people have great success, I think you(one) does need to think about it differently. I do like your lupin boarders here

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can control a brush or pencil with much more finesse than a mouse! As for the Humanist funeral, they are something else, aren't they? When our son died suddenly we (obviously) had never given any thought to his funeral; it's not something you discuss with your healthy 18 year old. Anyway, since we never had him christened, didn't get married in a church and he had never set foot in a church, we were stumped about what was appropriate for our larger than life boy. It was the funeral director who suggested a humanist funeral. And if I can take anything positive from that horrible, horrible time, it's that his funeral was bright, colourful, well attended and all about him. Not God or religion or 'a better place'. It was a celebration of his life cut short with poems from his friends (and me) and music he would have found funny - we followed the coffin in to "I'm forever blowing bubbles" (a football song) and had Elvis (another football song) and Muse's Starlight at the end. It was him. And I'm so glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine how awful it was, how awful it IS, to have lost your son. Humanist funerals are on the increase and I think that it's a good thing that they are. Better to remember and celebrate the person who lived, than talk about 'immortal souls'. As long as we remember loved ones in our hearts, they live on for us - that's as immortal as we who are left need them to be. (((hug)))

      Delete

I'd love you to comment, but I get a phenomenal amount of spam comments on here for some reason - so everything is moderated. But only for spam. Any other comment will be posted :-D

Explore the ruined citadel of m'blog: