24 Jul 2017

Hestia suffers ... social media angst

So, I'm looking idly at Facebook, as I do most days.  Most minutes, if I'm honest. And I notice that a Facebook friend has posted something - a poem - and attributed it to a very worthy and poignant backstory.

The attribution is made in good faith, clearly, but I feel that it's not correct. I google it and I'm right, the attribution is wrong.

Here is the God's honest truth of what happened next:



Me (typing)

Ah - that wasn't said by X, but by Y  *smiley face emoji*

I read over the comment before I hit the 'return' key and wonder about the tone.  Nobody likes to be told that they are wrong, do they?  I add in the word 'sorry'

Ah - sorry, that wasn't said by X, but by Y *smiley face emoji*

I read over the comment before I hit return, again, and wonder about saying 'sorry'. After all, WTF am I apologising for - doing the due diligence and checking that the backstory was correct?

I delete the word 'sorry' and replace the smiley face emoticon with a laughing face and a heart.  Surely they won't take offence at that?

Ah - that wasn't said by X, but by Y *laughing face emoji + heart emoji*

I read over the comment before I hit return, AGAIN, and am still not happy at the tone.  I seem to be coming across as very knowitall.  Who likes that?

After the smiley face and heart I add 'I thought that the story sounded a bit suspect, so I googled it' Just so that she knows I am not a knowitall but a googleitall.

I read it again:

Ah - that wasn't said by X, but by Y *laughing face emoji + heart emoji* I thought that the story sounded a bit suspect, so I googled it. 

Fuck, now I've made it sound like SHE failed to do her due diligence and check the crock of crap before she posted.  Who wants to read that?

I delete the whole thing and sit looking forlornly at the flashing cursor, fingers hovering over the keyboard.

What do I say?

'Brilliant backstory, but not the right one, unfortunately. This was said by X in 1934 and published in Posh Magazine Title the same year.'  *laughing face, heart*

It's still not right.  I delete everything.  I revert to my first comment, including emojis, and re-read it ...... it needs another emoji.  I am rattling through screens of available emojis......

Whoa Nelly! What the hell are you doing, girl?!

I had spend 16 minutes checking facts, agonising about writing a comment that informed but not chastised, to an almost total stranger, about something that I knew not a jot about other than I'd googled the quote and alighted upon the right originator.  Prior to the post being made, I had never heard of the poem or the author.  I didn't even LIKE the poem when I read it.

SIXTEEN. MINUTES.

I could have walked the dog halfway through the woods in that time.
I could have done one round of a Sun Salutation in that time.
I could have poured (and drunk) a Perfect Serve G&T
I could have made a round of pancakes.
I could have jogged round the park once.  Slowly.
I could have texted Sonshine and emoji'd him that I loved him.

Instead, I tore myself up trying not to offend someone I would probably walk past in the street, about something I didn't give a flying fart about.

I clicked the quote and comment section closed and opened a funneh kitteh video instead.  Much safer.

Is it just me that ends up like this?!

3 comments:

  1. Heh. I think about how pissed off am I/how much do I really care about what's been said, then how much it would impact me if the person who said it gets riled - would I care about the consequences eg.unfriending ...and hit 'enter' depending on the answers to those 2 things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in good company, Hestia. Don't know how many times I've done totally similar. Excellent point about the totally wasted time part. But it's so fulfilling to be right! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the 'joys' of online communication! I worry like that sometimes about comments in blogs, too ;D Yet, I wouldn't give up the connections it allows me :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love you to comment, but I get a phenomenal amount of spam comments on here for some reason - so everything is moderated. But only for spam. Any other comment will be posted :-D

Explore the ruined citadel of m'blog: